Title IX Coordinator
Pleasantville School District Title IX Coordinator is:
Dr. Garnell Bailey
801 Mill Road
Pleasantville, NJ 08232
(t) 609.383.6800, X2542
What is Title IX:
The federal law prohibiting sex discrimination in educational institutions is Title IX of the Educational Amendments Act of 1972 (amending the Higher Education Act of 1965). This act is codified as Title 20, United States Code, Chapter 38, Sections 1681-1686. The act was also amended by the Civil Rights Restoration Act of 1987 ("Title IX").
The law states that "no person in the United States shall on the basis of sex be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving federal financial assistance. The amendment in 1987 expanded the definition of program or activity to include all the operations of an educational institution, governmental entity or private employer that receives federal funds.
Title IX forbids sex discrimination in all district services and academic programs.. Title IX also forbids discrimination because of sex in employment and recruitment consideration or selection, whether full time or part time, under any education program or activity operated by an institution receiving or benefiting from federal financial assistance ("recipient").
Role of Title IX Coordinator:
Pursuant to Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Pleasantville School District’s Title IX Coordinator is the designated agent of the school district with primary responsibility for coordinating Title IX compliance efforts. The Title IX coordinator’s responsibilities are critical to the development, implementation, and monitoring of meaningful efforts to comply with Title IX legislation, regulation, and case law. In broad terms, the Title IX Coordinator oversees monitoring of school district policy in relation to Title IX law developments; implementation of grievance procedures, including notification, investigation and disposition of complaints; provision of educational materials and training for the district community; conducting and/or coordinating investigations of complaints received pursuant to Title IX;
ensuring a fair and neutral process for all parties; and monitoring all other aspects of the district’s Title IX compliance.
Duties and responsibilities related to the Coordination of the district’s Title IX compliance efforts include, but are not limited to:
1) Notification and Education --
-prepare and disseminate educational materials, including brochures, posters, and web-based materials that inform members of the campus community of Title IX rights and responsibilities, to the campus community
-coordinate training for students about their rights under Title IX and grievance procedures
-coordinate in-service training to all employees concerning Title IX policy
2) Consultation, Investigation, and Disposition –-
-receive and process, in a timely manner, inquiries from students, faculty, staff, and administrators regarding rights and responsibilities concerning harassing behavior or other discriminatory behavior in violation of Title IX
-receive and process, in a timely manner, inquiries from third parties who report suspicion of harassing behavior or other discriminatory behavior in violation of Title IX
-if not appropriate for investigation, refer inquiries to other resources
-receive and process, in a timely manner, complaints from students, faculty, staff, and administrators regarding rights and responsibilities concerning harassing behavior or other discriminatory behavior in violation of Title IX
-receive and process, in a timely manner, complaints from third parties who report suspicion of harassing behavior or other discriminatory behavior in violation of Title IX
- investigate alleged discrimination and/or harassment
– interview complainants, respondents, and material witnesses
– issue findings of fact and recommendations for disposition of complaints
– notify all parties regarding disposition
-follow-up with parties regarding implementation of recommendations contained in disposition; seek assistance from parties’ supervisors, if necessary to implement recommendations
– monitor compliance of all requirements and time-lines specified in the complaint/grievance procedures
3) Institutional Monitoring and Compliance Assurance
– train staff responsible for implementing grievance procedures
– organize and maintain grievance files, disposition reports, and other compiled records regarding complaints of sexual harassment and other discriminatory practices, including annual descriptive reports of number and nature of filed complaints and disposition of complaints.
- remain knowledgeable of current state and federal law and regulations and trends in the field of education related to harassment and other discriminatory practices that violate Title IX.
- monitor district Harassment policy and procedures to ensure compliance with state and federal law and regulations
- serve as a liaison officer to state and federal government compliance or investigation officers
4) Advising Superintendent and Board of Education
– provide ongoing consultation regarding Title IX requirements, grievance issues, and compliance programs to the Superintendent and Board of Education.
-Title IX Coordinator may request hiring of outside qualified persons to investigate harassment and discrimination cases in the event of a conflict of interest. Academic and administrative units shall cooperate with Title IX Coordinator to obtain access to information necessary to investigate and enforce compliance requirements.
5) Annual Report to Superintendent and Board of Education
The Title IX Coordinator will prepare annual statistical reports for the district on the incidence of sexual harassment. No information that identifies individuals will be reported in the annual statistical reports.
Please click on the attached documents for additional information…
Board Policy: Non-Discrimination #1510
BOE Regulation: Non-discrimination #1510
Title IX Grievance Procedures (pdf)
REGULATION 1510 (pdf)
POLICY 1510 (pdf)
District Title IX Coordinator Responsibilities (pdf)